PMC Research is conducting a diagnostic study of two clusters- marine fishing and processing, and preservation of fruit and vegetables - located in Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region. The study is part of the “EU Innovative Action for Private Sector Competitiveness in Georgia (EU IPSC)” program, which is a joint initiative of the European Union and the following four UN agencies: the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP); the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO); the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO); and the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
The overall objective of the program is to enhance entrepreneurship and business sophistication by strengthening the capacities of government and local entities to develop and operate clusters.
The goals of the diagnostic study in Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti are to describe both the history and the current situation of the clusters, to analyze business operations within the clusters, to develop a cluster map, and, finally, to elaborate both short-term objectives and a long-term vision for the development of these clusters.
In order to attain its goals, PMC Research will undertake the following activities:
- Define the two clusters (marine fishing and processing, and preservation of fruit and vegetables) with specific attention paid to two dimensions: products and place;
- Gather preliminary data to estimate: turnover; number of enterprises; number of support institutions; number of business development service (BDS) providers; average income of laborers; and employment exports. In addition, corresponding data and information at regional and international level are being collected for benchmarking purposes;
- Prepare a diagnostic questionnaire for both clusters for both producers/processors and support institutions;
- Select sample sizes and identify stakeholders to be interviewed, and conduct interviews with principal firms, support firms and associations/networks in both the marine fishing and processing cluster and the preservation of fruit and vegetables cluster;
- Organize focus group meetings with cluster stakeholders to gather information and to validate the interim findings;
- Analyze interviews, including with respect to enterprise issues, inter-firm collaboration, capability issues, analysis of business services, and assessment of governance structures; and
- Prepare a final report on both the marine fishing and processing cluster and the preservation of fruit and vegetables cluster.